Friday, August 27, 2010

Single mommy, no more

I was as giddy as a teenager at their first prom.  My long lost husband was finally coming home!  I honestly couldn't eat that whole day because of the excitement, nervousness, and pure bliss that I was feeling.  It's funny, people always say, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder," and I can now say that I believe it wholeheartedly.  I felt all the butterflies that you feel in the beginning; the way that your heart races to the point where you feel like it's hard to breathe.  The kids and I got to meet David at the gate, which made it feel even more special.  Grace picked out a purple headband with a bow right in the front, and Gabe wore a nice blue polo, his usual.  We actually almost didn't make it on time.  It took me a little longer than  I thought to get ready, drive to the airport, park, get cleared to meet him at the gate, and then actually find the darn gate.  We got there literally 5 minutes before the passengers started coming out of the plane.  This was it!  The door opened and the first of the passengers started coming out.  I got the kids out of the stroller, perched alongside of me just right so that we were in perfect position.  And we waited.  And waited.  And waited.  There was a split second there when I thought to myself, "crap, I'm at the wrong gate...perfect, I've blown everything." And then the passengers started getting  fewer and fewer until they stopped altogether.  Again, crap.  But wait, just then, more started coming!  So we waited.  And waited.  By this time I was really sweating.  Just then, I saw a couple of guys come out that looked at me funny, so I figured either they just thought I was extremely good-looking, or they were the two that were traveling with David. Turns out they were with David.  I quickly asked if they were with him in which they replied, "yep, he'll probably be one of the last ones out."  Well that explained it.  Relieved, I loosened up a bit, realizing I was squeezing the kids' hands so tight I was probably cutting off circulation.  Finally, we saw him!  He was here!
The first thing that came to my mind was, "what the heck is he wearing?  Are those man-pri's?  Is he really wearing man-pri's?"  For all of you who don't know, man-pri's are like capri pants that women wear, only, well, now men wear them as well....apparently.  I don't think they're actually called man-pri's, but that's just the name a friend and I coined for them.  So after the initial shock of his choice in clothing wore off, I realized that the kid's had already ran to him, jumped in his arms, and now they were all three looking at me like, "um, aren't you going to hug him too?"  So this was it!  The moment I've been waiting for for over 2 months!  The big first moment that we get to see each other!  So I walk over and wrap my arms around him....which lasted all of 2 seconds.  I thought, "What?  That's it?  Where was the slow motion run we see in movies, and the long romantic kiss that I expected?  Where were the fireworks and the "big" moment I thought we would have?   Yeah.  My movie version had ended and reality set in.  He was back, and so glad to see us, but we simply couldn't have a hot movie scene in the middle of the airport.  That would have to happen later :-)
So all is right in the world again.  Even though I have to give up the middle of the bed, the middle parking spot in the garage, and a fart-free bedroom, my family was complete again, and that was all that mattered. 
So hug your significant other.  Tell them how much they mean to you.  And then tell them to get the hell out of town for 2 months so you can appreciate them again when they get back :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment